Surfing on life banner
The ShovelShack Archives
Between January 2002 and December 2011, almost 46,000 posts were created by members of the Shovel Shack discussion group.
In 2012, the Shovel Shack moved to a new home: shovelshack.org. Shovelshack.net will be kept intact as an archive for those amazing discussions.

Browse a bit and then join us at ShovelShack.org

The Stuff of Grace
 Shovel Shack : The Stuff of Grace
Subject Topic: Less illusions
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Broken Link
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: Mar-11-02
Location: United States
Posts: 2513
Posted: Jun-26-10 at 2:48pm | IP Logged  

I won't claim that there are no more illusions for
me. For some, Christ or even faith is the illusion,
but what an illusion for the chance to see myself
and the world much more clearer than I did before.
When he strips me of the pretenses I hold on to,
there is freedom. If only I knew how much bondage
they place me under.

The supposition that I'm anything more or better
than others because things don't happen to me, or I
don't do certain things, or even because I think a
certain way is a terrible burden. The activity
required to bolster that air of superiority is
exhausting. Is there any question why Jesus is such
a rest for those who believe? What a relief from
having to strenuously separate myself from others
based on comparing myself to them!

Edited by Broken Link on Jun-26-10 at 2:50pm


      

Bill
theHarryTick™
heretic - n 1: a person who holds beliefs in conflict with the dogma of the church.
Back to Top
 
mcdave
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: Dec-25-01
Location: United States
Posts: 1809
Posted: Jun-26-10 at 3:43pm | IP Logged  



      

     It's not works,it's coffee.
   

Back to Top
 
the shovel
Shackmeister
Shackmeister


Joined: Oct-01-01
Location: United States
Posts: 4187
Posted: Jun-27-10 at 9:08am | IP Logged  

Bill wrote:
The supposition that I'm anything more or better than others because things don't happen to me, or I don't do certain things, or even because I think a certain way is a terrible burden. The activity required to bolster that air of superiority is exhausting. Is there any question why Jesus is such a rest for those who believe? What a relief from having to strenuously separate myself from others based on comparing myself to them!


Bill, this is so well stated! You're so right, there is no question why Jesus is such a rest. :)

Jim


      

DIGGIN'THE LIFE!
Back to Top
 
luvin
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: May-20-02
Location: United States
Posts: 5235
Posted: Jun-27-10 at 10:01am | IP Logged  

the shovel wrote:
Bill wrote:
The supposition that I'm anything more or better than others because things don't happen to me, or I don't do certain things, or even because I think a certain way is a terrible burden. The activity required to bolster that air of superiority is exhausting. Is there any question why Jesus is such a rest for those who believe? What a relief from having to strenuously separate myself from others based on comparing myself to them!


Bill, this is so well stated! You're so right, there is no question why Jesus is such a rest. :)

Jim
Yeah,
If I am understanding you correctly Bill, I like what ya said. I guess it makes me think about those who do  have the "tools" in life that others do not and how it would be so easy for them to compare themselves to those that have no such tools available to them. At the other end I have personally seen first hand those who don't have the tools judge the ones with the tools to be "bad" as it were. As you say, rest from Him has nothing to do with either of these roots of blindness.

Thanks Bill..

Adam


      

It is peace[the kind we long for] to know that my life patterns do not distract or derail the Living God"-Adam

http:newthatsliving.blogspot.com
Back to Top
 
Broken Link
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: Mar-11-02
Location: United States
Posts: 2513
Posted: Jun-27-10 at 2:52pm | IP Logged  

It's like being awakened from a dream where you were
trying to run and not getting anywhere. There is total
relief to find the dream was not reality!

Edited by Broken Link on Jun-27-10 at 2:54pm


      

Bill
theHarryTick™
heretic - n 1: a person who holds beliefs in conflict with the dogma of the church.
Back to Top
 
Dignz
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: Jul-18-06
Location: United States
Posts: 1816
Posted: Jun-27-10 at 5:51pm | IP Logged  

"When he strips me of the pretenses I hold on to, there is freedom." <-linc

amen and hallelujah to that!! 

"The supposition that I'm anything more or better than others because things don't happen to me, or I don't do certain things, or even because I think a certain way is a terrible burden."  <-linc

so true.    just thinking about how it all falls under the same ol' ensnarement and tendency to compare ourselves amongst ourselves in order to validate our selves, with the inevitable result of either proving or disproving our worth, value and importance to either our own selves or someone else.  i think it is very much the result of losing sight of the confidence we really only have in him alone which is all inclusive with this new creation that we are ... that we have been made in him, by him, for him, because of him, etc.  in other words, having once again been convinced and mistaken that we still have a need of trying to secure some confidence in and by and with the reasoning and wisdom of that which we have been miraculously called OUT of.

maybe another wabbit twail on my part, as usual,    but i was thinking also how i am so thankful that we can, nevertheless discuss the things we do not agree on or with, as long as there is mutual interest and agreement on such discussion.
  i am not meaning to the point of argument and debate that leads to futility for the mere purpose of argument and debate, for i know that is simply the nature of some, but ... really ... how do we always even know where and when discussion will lead without first discussing in the first place, ... and yes, even sometimes to the point of argument and debate.  sometimes it proves to only be temporary and leads us to actually seeing what we did not see before, or just forgot about because of particular circumstances, situations, sufferings, or just other people leading our minds elsewhere, etc.  i do not think there is even a formula of control for that.  (not saying that is even at all what you were getting at, bill.  just the typical wabbit twail on my part.) 

i do vaguely remember that there is admonishment for not arguing/debating over that which is futility ... i am just not remembering at present what and where that is in context, but ... i will stumble upon it again some time and be reminded once again.  or someone will bring it to mind.  any takers, by the way?   

i think a lot of this life is being reminded over and over again along the way as we experience many things on this journey that tend to distract us and to suck our hearts and minds back into that which we were once conditioned by the flesh to think, do, etc.
  

anyway ... i love your post, bill (linc).  very encouraging, stimulating and compelling.  :)   from life to life!  :)    thank you!  :)

"It's like being awakened from a dream where you were trying to run and not getting anywhere. There is total relief to find the dream was not reality!"  <-linc

that was described quite well indeed!  i can so relate to and with that! 




Edited by Dignz on Jun-27-10 at 5:53pm


      

"afterall, he's not a tame lion"
Back to Top
 
luvin
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: May-20-02
Location: United States
Posts: 5235
Posted: Jun-27-10 at 7:37pm | IP Logged  

"When he strips me of the pretenses I hold on to, there is freedom." <-linc


"..
in other words, having once again been convinced and mistaken that we still have a need of trying to secure some confidence in and by and with the reasoning and wisdom of that which we have been miraculously called OUT of."-Dignz


I could and probably am way off topic but, you too made me think about my living view of the old Christian "dying to self" deilma. Some how the Lord gave me true understanding instead of the same o' when I read or heard this terminology way back then..["dying to self"]. Now later on I of course got caught up in what the dead old mind thought about it but, not at first. No in fact it was His "striping away" those former things and delusions from inside me that I both could not explain to other people but, could only understand from within. It is soo funny how we can be SO sure about something and then suddenly be stopped on a dime in this stripping away.


      

It is peace[the kind we long for] to know that my life patterns do not distract or derail the Living God"-Adam

http:newthatsliving.blogspot.com
Back to Top
 
Dignz
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: Jul-18-06
Location: United States
Posts: 1816
Posted: Jun-28-10 at 10:11am | IP Logged  

"... His 'stripping away' those former things and delusions from inside me that I both could not explain to other people but, could only understand from within."

i think i get what you mean.  it led my thoughts to how our life is hid with god in christ jesus, and how he can at times give us such clarity of mind and such compelling to share with others what his spirit knows in us ... (don't know if i worded that quite clearly) and sometimes we are not able to share it regardless of the clarity and deep desire to do so ... for whatever reason.   

i also thought of how there is also the 'whoever has ears to hear' issue.  we have no control over that either. 

i don't know if that is just another wabbit twail, but ... probably ... ???????          


      

"afterall, he's not a tame lion"
Back to Top
 
luvin
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: May-20-02
Location: United States
Posts: 5235
Posted: Jun-28-10 at 10:43am | IP Logged  

Dignz wrote:
"... His 'stripping away' those former things and delusions from inside me that I both could not explain to other people but, could only understand from within."

i think i get what you mean.  it led my thoughts to how our life is hid with god in christ jesus, and how he can at times give us such clarity of mind and such compelling to share with others what his spirit knows in us ... (don't know if i worded that quite clearly) and sometimes we are not able to share it regardless of the clarity and deep desire to do so ... for whatever reason.   

i also thought of how there is also the 'whoever has ears to hear' issue.  we have no control over that either. 

i don't know if that is just another wabbit twail, but ... probably ... ???????          


Hi Dignz,
I guess I am more or less just thinking about the "stripping away" than anything else. To me, the stripping away is God's corretion as He sees fit. Not in an temporal sense, but in an jesus-stuff- eternal kind of way. Maybe think of the Hebrews or the Galations or even the Corinthians[especially the Corinthians!] While the old dead clothes are familiar to us and we sometimes get tricked into clinging to them, Jesus has raised us from the dead and our life is no longer what it once was.

Love, Adam


      

It is peace[the kind we long for] to know that my life patterns do not distract or derail the Living God"-Adam

http:newthatsliving.blogspot.com
Back to Top
 
Dignz
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: Jul-18-06
Location: United States
Posts: 1816
Posted: Jun-28-10 at 11:27am | IP Logged  

tripping in the darkness of deceit ... stripping illusions held by deceit ... ripping darkness away ...  gripping hearts with confidence and revelation ... dripping with soothing calm, relief and rest ...  

my attempt at ... i dunno ... some kind of 'prose' or something.    just playfully manipulating with one of the words currently 'on the table' and embellishing a little.    a very good word/phrase - stripping away.      in context of what bill and adam are saying ... i think i get it. 

it makes me think of removing the grave clothes a layer at a time ... just like jesus told his disciples to remove them from lazarus 'cuz he was no longer dead.  what a WONDERFUL descript picture!    he was ALIVE after all!  no longer dead!  raised to new life!  i know i have said it before, (don't mean to be annoyingly redundant, yet for me the redundancy  is the same wonderful freeing news over and over again) but i also think that this journey here is like that for us sometimes ... like removing layers of steeenky ol' grave clothes, as you brought attention to adam.  i don't know if i am twisting your example or not, but that is what i get out of it. 

when a delusion is revealed for what it is and the illusion is revealed as a result, it is like seeing a part of the steenky ol' grave clothes that we were once deluded into thinking were so sweet and fashionable earlier on.    

well anyway ... i know that all illustrations can be broken down to oblivion and the point totally lost, so ... i will quit while i am probably already behind. 

just enjoying the thread and the thoughts stimulated, even if they bounce me around in my wabbity head. 




Edited by Dignz on Jun-28-10 at 11:30am


      

"afterall, he's not a tame lion"
Back to Top
 
luvin
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: May-20-02
Location: United States
Posts: 5235
Posted: Jun-28-10 at 11:53am | IP Logged  

"
it makes me think of removing the grave clothes a layer at a time ... just like jesus told his disciples to remove them from lazarus 'cuz he was no longer dead.  what a WONDERFUL descript picture!  "-Dignz


Nail on the head!


      

It is peace[the kind we long for] to know that my life patterns do not distract or derail the Living God"-Adam

http:newthatsliving.blogspot.com
Back to Top
 
Broken Link
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: Mar-11-02
Location: United States
Posts: 2513
Posted: Jun-28-10 at 4:56pm | IP Logged  

What's up, doc? I mean, what's a wabbit twail? I
mean...it leads where it leads. No rules on this
thread, and I kinda like the trail it's on!



      

Bill
theHarryTick™
heretic - n 1: a person who holds beliefs in conflict with the dogma of the church.
Back to Top
 
Tim P
Shackaholic
Shackaholic


Joined: Mar-19-07
Location: United States
Posts: 708
Posted: Jun-28-10 at 8:01pm | IP Logged  

Broken Link wrote:

The supposition that I'm anything more or better
than others because things don't happen to me, or I
don't do certain things, or even because I think a
certain way is a terrible burden. The activity
required to bolster that air of superiority is
exhausting. Is there any question why Jesus is such
a rest for those who believe? What a relief from
having to strenuously separate myself from others
based on comparing myself to them!


Appreciated this, Bill.
Back to Top
 
mary
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: Mar-03-02
Location: United States
Posts: 1942
Posted: Jun-30-10 at 12:39am | IP Logged  


     Yes, me too.   There's always such beautiful release when you write, Bill.   All of the dung falls by the wayside.  All the dung that the world and religion, and the even things you 'hear' through ones that are closest to you, to attempt to drag you down around. But, then the dark clouds roll away and the sky is clear, and instead of being caught in the middle of the stress and striving, you're at rest once again.  I love you, brother.


      

Mary
Back to Top
 
gregoryfl
Shackaddict
Shackaddict


Joined: Jan-24-08
Location: United States
Posts: 1311
Posted: Jul-04-10 at 10:13am | IP Logged  

Thank you all for the encouragement.

      

What do you see when you look at me? Not the visible me that your eyes can see. For in Christ I am dead, yet alive and free. Free to be it all, as he lives in me.
Back to Top
 

 



the shovel home page